Patient EducationFrederick Sport and Spine Clinics
WHAT IS PHYSICAL THERAPY?
The PT will give you tests to measure:
- How well you can move around, reach, bend, or grasp
- How well you walk or climb steps
- Your heartbeat or rhythm while active
- Your posture or balance
- Exercises or stretches guided by your therapist
- Massage, heat, or cold therapy, warm water therapy, or ultrasound to ease muscle pain or spasms
- Rehab to help you learn to use an artificial limb
- Practice with gadgets that help you move or stay balanced, like a cane or walker
WHERE DO YOU GET PT?
PTs sometimes come to your home to guide your therapy. They also work in:
- Outpatient clinics
- Sports medicine centers
- Private medical offices
- Nursing homes
- Assisted living homes
- Rehab centers
- Offices and work sites
- Schools or colleges
DO YOU KNOW HOW FIT YOU ARE?
Use the Fit Factor survey to assess and learn about your physical health. The Fit Factor is an online survey that you can take in your own home that will assess all aspects of your physical health. The questions will range from your exercise habits to your ability to participate in everyday physical and leisure activities. This interactive test will evaluate your balance, strength, and flexibility into a Fit Factor score that will categorize you into one of six levels of physical health. There are also educational videos that will provide you with a vast amount of information and tips including injury prevention, exercise, posture, development of strength, flexibility, and balance.